- Get Involved
- Background Check
It is the intent of this policy to establish certain guidelines wherein the Valpo Department of Parks and Recreation can seek to protect our children by investigating the background of volunteers who will be coaching children involved in athletic programs approved by the Parks and Recreation Department
- All participants 18 years of age or younger shall have at 1 approved coach or assistant coach (collectively referred to as "Coach") present at each athletic activity, including practices and games. A Coach becomes approved once the process described in this policy is completed.
- Any person who has been found guilty, pled guilty; or pled no contest, regardless of adjudication, or has a pending charge pertaining to, any of the disqualifying offenses listed in this policy will be immediately disqualified from coaching (either as a head coach or an assistant coach) in any athletic program approved by the Parks and Recreation Department. The Department also reserves the right to disqualify a person for any crime that would be considered a potential risk to children and/or vulnerable populations.
- This policy will apply to all youth sports coaches, both head and assistant, participating in sanctioned recreational athletic leagues. If there is any doubt as to which coaches should be screened, the general rule is anyone who would potentially have unsupervised access to children on the team. Each Coach will have his or her background checked every 12 months for as long as he or she continues coaching.
- The Parks and Recreation Department will provide the applicant with a Background Screening Policy and Consent Form for each head coach and assistant coach(es). This will be filled out via the link at the bottom of this page.
- The Parks and Recreation Department Staff will establish deadlines to submit the Volunteer in Youth Sports Consent/Release Forms to the Parks and Recreation Department. These deadlines will be at least two weeks prior to the start of practices for each sport. This will give the Parks and Recreation Department time to compile the forms, process the forms, and have the background checks conducted.
- A 3rd party contractor (Safe Hiring Solutions, Inc.) will administer the background screen.
- If applicant is found to have disqualifying crimes listed below, Department shall notify the Coach by certified mail and/or telephone that he is disqualified.
If a Coach wishes to dispute the content of the profile report, the Coach shall contact the third party responsible for conducting the background check by calling the telephone number listed on the report. The Coach is responsible for providing any or all documentation to support his or her claim.
If one has been convicted of, 2 has a charge pending against him or her in which it is alleged that he or she has committed any of the following crimes, 3 has a record of a conviction of an equivalent offense in another state, the Coach will be disqualified from volunteering for a coaching or assistant coaching position with any athletic team in any athletic program approved by the Parks and Recreation Department.
- All Sex Offenses: Examples include, but are not limited to: child molestation, rape, sexual assault, sexual battery, sodomy, prostitution, solicitation, indecent exposure, etc.
- All Felony Violence Offenses: Examples include, but are not limited to: murder, manslaughter, aggravated assault, kidnapping, robbery, aggravated burglary, etc.
- All Felony offenses other than violence or sex within the 10 years: Examples include, but are not limited to: drug offenses, theft, embezzlement, fraud, child endangerment, etc.
- All Misdemeanor Violence offenses within the 7 years: Examples include, but are not limited to: simple assault, battery, domestic violence, hit and run, etc.
- Two or more Misdemeanor Alcohol offenses within the 5 years: Examples include, but are not limited to: driving under the influence, drunk and disorderly, public intoxication, etc.
- All Misdemeanor Drug offenses within the 5 years or multiple offenses in the 10 years: Examples include, but are not limited to: simple drug possession, possession of drug paraphernalia, etc.
- Any other misdemeanor within the 5 years that would be considered a potential danger to children or is directly related to the functions of that coach: Examples include, but are not limited to: contributing to the delinquency of a minor, providing alcohol to a minor, etc.
- Background Screening Policy and Consent Form (PDF)
- Please contact the Director of the program you wish to volunteer for to receive the link to complete your background check